Friday, June 02, 2006

Heard but not seen

Photos from top:
1) Another loon watcher: Nicola in July, 2005 on Pipe Lake
2) Nicola and Chris watching loons from the dock in July, 2005
3) Last year's loon family at the beginning of June, 2005



I was heartened to hear the loons by the time I left the lake on Sunday, May 21. Still, I haven't SEEN them. I was in California with my Dad and Mom from the 22nd to the 31st. Bob and I came up to the lake yesterday afternoon. Around midnight, we heard the wails. Then, this morning, there was vocalizing but I didn't get to the dock in time to find them. Maybe this evening...

The garden is growing. Weeds, er, native plants, are everywhere. There are signs that a gardener, albeit an inexperienced one, is trying to impose some form. Last July, Chris planted eleven hosta from Susan's garden in St Paul. They look wonderful and some critter thinks a few of them are tasty too. Chris also helped to divide and plant a half dozen lady's mantle. They are thriving! The double pink columbines, bluets, meadow rue, pink and white crane's bill geraniums, Korean lilacs, forget-me-nots, foam flowers, a pink primula, and a single orange day lily are also blooming.

Loons, herons, eagles, barred owls, phoebes, woodpeckers, wild flowers and perennials: No wonder I love being here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home