Saturday, April 15, 2006

Two loon pairs


Yesterday afternoon, I watched a pair of loons cruise south, down the middle of the lake. About 500 yards from us (just south of Lobergs), they turned into the west shore and continued their swim south. About 75 yards along (almost to Fornettis), there was great commotion and flapping and the loons took flight. I kept my eyes on them as they departed. They ascended in a spiral of ever increasing circles.

When they were out of sight, I returned my gaze to the shoreline. While I was focusing on what I thought might be a bird at the shoreline, a large loon in its colorful coat came into view. It was followed by another of similar size and color. They seemed to be coming from the bay around Durkees (about 300 yards south of us.) They ambled north toward us, diving, preening, not in any hurry, with no apparent destination. Once they got up to our place they hung around for a while and then started back south again. This promenade went on for well over an hour.

I'm headed to my loon books to try to figure out what was going on. I could certainly build a story around what I thought I saw but I don't have enough information to assert a good hypothesis.

4 Comments:

Blogger stacey said...

i have recently developed an interest in birds myself. during my nightly walk around lake merritt i am just so curious about all those birds. particularly, i wonder about the black-crowned night heron. he is a very cool, smooth looking dude.

Tue Apr 18, 05:34:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Peggy W said...

vtffffffffffffffs63333333333
This is a message directly from Boots! He likes to sit on my keyboard, especially when he wants some attention!

What I wanted to say, before being so rudely interrupted, is that my birder friends, Bonnie and Charlie, were with us at the lake this weekend. Bonnie says that there is a colony of black-crowned night herons on Lake of the Isles which is 2 blocks from our flat. As the evenings warm up, I'll try to see if I can spot this "very cool, smooth looking dude" for myself! Thanks for the tip.

There is something wonderful about walking around an urban lake. I'll bet you didn't know that I used to sail on Lake Merritt when I lived in Oakland, many years ago, in my youth. It's a great spot.

Sun Apr 23, 10:35:00 PM CDT  
Blogger stacey said...

i can see why you ould sail on Lake Merritt. it is quite a treasure. there are people kayaking, rowing and sailing now. there seems to be much more activity in, on and around the lake than past years. i love it.

yes, tell me more about the black-crowned night heron colony if you get a chance to see them. take pictures and share here.

Mon Apr 24, 09:11:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Robert said...

Night time walks are great.

Wed Apr 26, 08:40:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home