Sunday, April 23, 2006

Loons near the dock



Yesterday, I was sitting on the dock watching the loons dive and emerge and dive again. They moved farther apart and one started moving in my direction. After one of its dives, it surfaced just off the stern of our pontoon that was tied up to the dock. It is the closest a loon has ever come to the dock when I've been on it. I did NOT have my camera. I had my binoculars which helped me see a great detail of its wonderful color--iridescent green on its neck with the familiar black and white markings.

Later in the afternoon, we took a pontoon ride and encountered them on the northeast part of the lake. I took the picture of our house and dock from the pontoon as we were returning. The pontoon is usually tied up on right side (as you are looking at it; that's the north side) of our dock.

I didn't see the loons today although two barred owls were hooting in the afternoon. Bonnie and Charlie alerted me to them last night when we were in the hot tub. The owls were carrying on in the woods. Charlie replicates their call so well and they responded both last night and this afternoon! Very cool. We didn't get to see them but their songs were a good beginning for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

I LOVE that picture of the lake...I want to be there sooo much! I'm glad you're enjoying the loons, owls and the lake! I'll see you soon!!

Mon Apr 24, 11:51:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Report!

Wed Apr 26, 08:38:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home